Classes for online sonography education are offered by several online sonography schools. These include online sonography classes from colleges, universities and vocational technical schools. These are typically offered at the certificate and associate level and can take from six months to two years to complete. While some course work can be completed online, students typically must complete hands-on clinical work.
As with brick and mortar schools, sonography online schools typically offer classroom work in courses such as :
- medical terminalogy
- sonography physics
- sonography instrumentation
- introduction to and foundation of sonography
- pathological images
- patient communication and interaction
These sonography online courses will vary somewhat from institution to institution. You can request online sonographer school information below by checking the online learning preference option.
There are several advantages to accessing sonographer schools online. These may include:
- learning at your own schedule-which can be 24hours and seven days a week
- learning at your own pace
- reduced cost since online classes may be less costly and there are certainly transportation and/or child care savings
- learning of technological skills associated with the internet such as online conferencing and presentation skills
- some students find online learning easier than face to face traditional, on-campus instruction
There are also several potential disadvantages of using a sonography school online. These may include:
- lack of required self-discipline since students must be motivated to stay on schedule
- limited social interaction with other students
- lack of time management skills since students must manage their time appropriately
- some students prefer face-to-face instructional support, rather than email, telephone and online audio-video support options
- technical issues may be challenges for some (internet, internet speed, complex internet conferencing etc).
You should check that school and/or courses selected are accredited. The Society of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers (SDMS) has a listing on their website for schools that offer accredited online sonography schools. The SDMS states on their website that the SDMS believes that individuals entering the Diagnostic Medical Sonography profession should graduate from an educational program that is programmatically accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs, CAAHEP (http://www.caahep.org) through the Joint Review Committee on Education in Diagnostic Medical Sonography, JRC-DMS (http://www.jrcdms.org) or the Joint Review Committee on Education in Cardiovascular Technology, JRC-CVT (http://www.jrccvt.org). The CAAHEP listing of accredited online programs is at https://www.caahep.org/Students/Find-a-Program.aspx.